Monday, February 10, 2014

A Few Favorite Picture Books



When I was younger I used to lay in bed with my sisters at night and read them stories. I would be in the middle while my two sisters lay on either side of me. It became our bonding time every night as we laughed and giggle during the stories. We read books so much that most of them started to lose their pages and get worn out edges. It didn't take long before I became too busy to read stories with my sisters. Besides my busy teenage life, my sisters began to get older and couldn't fit in my twin bed anymore. This memory from my childhood has influenced my love for books because it created a magical time to be with my sisters. I decided, long before I had kids, that I would read to my own children just like I did with my sisters. Reading stories before nap time and bedtime was a great way to let my kids know that I loved them and transition them for sleep. We have many books (right now) that need to be replaced due to the amount of usage they have undergone. Here are just a few of our favorite picture books.


From top to bottom:

1. Mike Mulligan and His steam Shovel by Virginia Lee Burton
2. Blueberries For Sal by Robert McCloskey
3. Little Pea byAmy Krouse Rosenthal
4. Kitten's First Full Moon by Kevin Henkes
5. Ella the Elegant Elephant by Carmela D'amico
6. Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak
7. The Gruffalo by Julia Donaldson
8. The Paper Bag Princess by Robert Munsch
9. Sylvester and The Magic Pebble by William Steig 






  

























Reading is so much fun to do with those you love. It is inexpensive, doesn't require a huge time commitment, great bonding time with your children and you get to learn so many valuable lessons.


No comments:

Post a Comment